Leadership Idaho Agriculture 2015: The Legal Side of Agriculture
Moffatt Thomas will present a half-day seminar to the 2014/2015 Leadership Idaho Agriculture class titled, “The Legal Side of Agriculture.” 2015, The Legal Side of Agriculture
February 18, 2015
Christine Nicholas will present on DRONES AND FARM LEASES, including
(1) Regulations with spraying with drones and
(2) How do you draft bombproof farm leases to protect farmers and landowners?
Clay Gill will discuss S-CORPORATION ISSUES: ADVANTAGES OF INCORPORATING VS. OPERATING AS A PROPRIETORSHIP, including
(1) What are LLC legal liabilities?
(2) What are some agriculture related tax credit programs that exist for first time farmers that aren’t getting fully utilized?
(3) Should a husband and wife form an LLC on a small farming operation?
(4) Can I protect farmland from being broken up during major life events (death, divorce, etc) so that future generations can farm?
Ed Cather will present ESTATE PLANNING, BUSINESS SUCCESSION, AND ASSET PROTECTION ISSUES, including
(1) What are the different legal vehicles to move ownership from one generation to the next of a family business?
(2) What are some of the best estate planning ideas – LLC, life insurance, accountants, regenerating agriculture?
(3) Living trusts?
(4) Explain power of attorney for the elderly – how do you determine when they can’t make a decision related to business?
Norm Semanko will discuss WATER ISSUES, including
(1) Who has control & authority on open ditch water ways where landowners do not have water rights to the water?
(2) Will the government mandate all farms to have a silt/sediment pond on their land?
(3) Could the state reapportion Snake River water rights?
Leadership Idaho Agriculture is the only leadership organization in Idaho that works to directly cultivate leaders in agriculture. Since 1985, Leadership Idaho Agriculture has been offering a concentrated, hands-on learning experience to enhance and build leadership qualities, while developing advocates for agriculture and rural communities who will serve as a voice for the industry for generations to come.
The Legal Side of Agriculture seminar will be held on February 18, 2015 from 9:00 a.m. – noon at the Red Lion Downtowner. Leadership Idaho Agriculture events are part of a week-long Idaho Ag Summit, culminating with the Leadership Idaho Agriculture Alumni Gala and Auction on February 19, 2015. More information on Leadership Idaho Agriculture is available online at https://www.leadershipidahoag.org/
2015, The Legal Side of Agriculture
Moffatt Thomas has been providing legal services to the Pacific Northwest and Intermountain West since 1954, serving clients in the full-spectrum of business, litigation, and regulatory areas. With Idaho offices in Boise, Idaho Falls and Pocatello, the firm is strategically situated for direct contact with the governor’s office, the legislature, federal and state administrative agencies, area businesses, and international and national corporations engaged in business throughout the region. Since its inception over 60 years ago, its current and former lawyers have achieved the highest leadership positions in national, state and local legal and civic organizations.
Moffatt Thomas attorneys focus on the realities of their clients’ continually evolving business needs. Like their clients, Moffatt Thomas uses innovative technology as an efficient and productive tool, allowing more time to understand clients’ needs and envision where those businesses will be tomorrow.
Leading Idaho Law. Moffatt Thomas leads the field in litigation, business, banking, insurance, agriculture, employment law and more by bringing together some of the top legal minds across Idaho. More information is available at www.moffatt.com.