Tyler Anderson’s practice is focused in the areas of litigation and mediation at both the trial and appellate level, with a primary emphasis on commercial, banking and finance, construction defect, and employment litigation. He has represented a wide variety of clients throughout the United States in state and federal courts. His experience in handling various litigated matters for a diverse group of clients allows him to provide seasoned advice based on actual experience.
Mr. Anderson has handled numerous banking matters involving diverse issues, including breach of participation agreements, foreclosures, breach of promissory note, breach of guaranty, and lender liability defense.
Some of Mr. Anderson’s litigation successes include:
- A defense verdict for a local community bank following a two-week jury trial involving a $20 million claim of fraud arising from a loan workout. The jury awarded a verdict on the client’s counterclaim for breach of promissory note for damages in excess of $750,000.00.
- Lender liability defense in federal court resulting in a complete defense summary judgment for claims in excess of $65 million, affirmed on appeal to the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, arising from an alleged breach of a commitment to fund a large construction loan with union pension funds.
- Summary judgment in favor of local community bank, dismissing a lender liability claim arising from loan workout.
- Summary judgment on behalf of builder/developer in federal court litigation arising from a
$1 million fire loss.
- Dismissal of construction defect lawsuit on behalf of builder.
- Reversal of summary judgment on appeal to Idaho Supreme Court on behalf of publicly traded company enforcing a covenant not to compete.
Mr. Anderson’s understanding of the legal process and his ability to effectively serve clients in all phases of litigation is strengthened by his prior service as a law clerk in both the federal and state courts.
Mr. Anderson has participated in several matters on behalf of the Court Appointed Special Advocate Program. Additionally, he has participated in the federal court pro bono program and successfully represented a prisoner in federal court involving claims under 42 U.S.C. § 1983 and the Eighth Amendment. Mr. Anderson also serves on the statewide committee for the YMCA Youth Government Program.
·Idaho Associated General Contractors (Idaho AGC): Construction Litigation Strategies: Positioning for a Prejudgment Interest Award
Leadership Idaho Agriculture, The Legal Side of Agriculture: Agricultural Liens and Significant Case Law Update
Idaho State Bar Annual BANKRUPTCY Seminar: Rule 26 Amendments
Ratings & Recognitions
- Best Lawyers® – Litigation, Construction
- Best Lawyers® Lawyer of the Year 2017 – Litigation – Construction
- Mountain States Super Lawyers – Business Litigation
- J.D., University of Idaho College of Law, cum laude, 2002
- B.A., Boise State University, 1999
- Honorable Mike H. Williams, Magistrate Judge for the United States District Court for the District of Idaho
- Summer Clerkship for the Honorable Carl B. Kerrick, District Judge for the Second Judicial District, Nez Perce County, Idaho
- Idaho State and Federal Courts
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
Professional & Civic Activities
- Federal Bar Association
- Member, Idaho Association of Defense Counsel
- Volunteer Court Appointed Special Advocate
- Volunteer Federal and State Court Pro Bono Litigation
- Volunteer Attorney for Idaho Volunteer Lawyers Program
- Idaho State Bar – Litigation and Appellate Sections
- Idaho State Bar – Young Lawyers Section, past CLE Chair
- Idaho State Bar Exam grader
- Idaho AGC (Associated General Contractors), member
- “A State-by-State Guide to Construction & Design Law: Idaho Construction & Design Law,” Second Edition, James L. Martin and Tyler J. Anderson, American Bar Association
- “Comment, An Analysis of Personal Jurisdiction and Conflict of Laws in the Context of Electronically Formed Contracts,” 37 Idaho L. Rev. 477, 2001
- Idaho State Bar Annual Meeting, “The Trend Toward Proportionality in Discovery,” July 13, 2017.
- Idaho Associated General Contractors (Idaho AGC), “Construction Litigation Strategies: Positioning for a Prejudgment Interest Award,” May 4, 2017.
- Idaho State Bar Annual Bankruptcy Seminar, Rule 26 Amendments, 2-19-2016
- Leadership Idaho Agriculture, THE LEGAL SIDE OF AGRICULTURE, Idaho AG Summit: Agricultural Liens and Significant Case Law Update, 2-17-2016
- Association of Corporate Counsel, Mountain West Chapter, Discovery of Electronically Stored Information and Litigation Update, 5/12/2015
- University of Idaho guest lecturer for Judge Winmill third year law student course, Discovery in Complex Litigation
- University of Idaho guest lecturer to third year externs on legal research and writing in civil practice
- Citizens’ Law Academy – Civil Litigation
- Moffatt Thomas Breakfast Briefing
- CLE – Law Clerk’s Roundtable on Federal Practice and Communicating With Chambers
- CLE – Federal Pro Bono Practice
- Instructor, University of Idaho, Law School Admission Test Preparation Course
- Past Barrister and Associate, American Inns of Court No. 130
- YMCA Youth Government Statewide Committee
- Citizen’s Law Academy – Civil Litigation
- Judge for Law School Mock Negotiation Competition
- Moot Court Judge for high school moot court teams