Larry C. Hunter, having returned in June 2016 from an 18-month volunteer service sabbatical, focuses his legal practice in the area of alternative dispute resolution as a hearing officer for mediation and arbitration. In addition to his active litigation and dispute resolution practice, Larry Hunter has been a leader in Bar governance. He was President of the Idaho State Bar, a member of the State Bar Commission, and is currently a member of the American Bar Association’s basic governing body, the House of Delegates (HOD). He has been a State Bar Delegate to the HOD since 2004. He has also served on numerous commissions, governing boards, and steering committees in both the State Bar and the American Bar Association.
His current practice emphasizes dispute resolution and he has served as a mediator, arbitrator, hearing officer, and neutral evaluator. He has helped dozens of litigants reach satisfactory settlements or other resolutions.
As a litigator, Mr. Hunter has over 35 years of experience in trying cases before state and federal judges and juries. Mr. Hunter is known as an effective advocate for his clients’ position while participating in an ethical and professional manner. He is particularly adept at finding inconsistencies and other weaknesses in the opposing party’s case and exposing them both before and during trial.
A representative sample of Mr. Hunter’s trial experience includes:
Insurance Defense/Products Liability:
- Defended vehicle manufacturer in personal injury cases involving allegations of product defect, in cases involving allegedly defective rear seat belts, visors, transmissions, brakes, steering mechanisms, and defective overall design.
- Defended construction company in wrongful death action involving a claim that a trucking company failed to provide safe and lighted area for truck drivers. Mr. Hunter has also defended a number of other construction cases involving cranes, scaffolding, and exposure to electricity.
- Represented manufacturers and distributors of such products as caulking, tools, galvanized chain, health care products, and industrial chemicals in products liability actions.
- Recovered large subrogated interests for product manufacturer and sales delivery organization against third-party tortfeasors.
- Defended contractors and subcontractors in numerous cases involving alleged construction defects in commercial, multifamily, and upscale single family dwellings, including allegedly defective roofs, foundations, plumbing, framing, stone work, and design.
General and Commercial Litigation:
- Handled numerous claims against real estate agents, insurance agents, and financial advisors through errors and omissions policies.
- Represented insurance companies and agencies in contract matters, including successfully representing an insurance company in a claim for wrongful denial of coverage and failure to provide a defense.
- Represented plaintiffs and defendants in securities cases.
- Defended a number of cases in which damage to beef and dairy cattle, their production, and offspring allegedly resulted from the consumption of feed tainted by silo system.
- Defended aerial and ground applicators in cases where applications of insecticides, herbicides, fungicides, fertilizers, nematicides, and other pesticides involved claims of drift, saturation, application to the wrong field, misapplication to the appropriate field and spray to homes, automobiles, water, and other non-field applications and alleged damages, including personal injuries and damage to a wide variety of crops and animal life.
- Defended chemical companies against claims of mislabeling, failure to test, or defective product contributing to crop damage and residual damage to land resulting in yield reduction or destruction of crops.
- Represented irrigation districts, pivot manufacturers, and component manufacturers for pivots in a variety of water cases involving allegations of deprivation of, providing too much, or ineffective provision of water to crops.
- Served as Idaho counsel for a large feed storage manufacturer in complex litigation of national scope, including eight Idaho cases involving alleged losses of over $4,000,000, which resulted in either defense verdicts or nuisance value settlements.
- Participated in the defense of various agricultural engineering cases involving allegations of improper erection or design of grain silos and other storage units, improper erection of center pivots or other irrigation systems, improper repair to farm machinery, and installation of pumps all resulting in alleged damage to crops, animals, production, and humans.
- Defended seed providers against allegations that seed provided was not as represented and that seed certification was done inappropriately resulting in crop loss or crop yield production.
Getting to Know Larry Hunter
After graduation from college and prior to attending law school, Larry spent two years as a missionary for his church in Chile and then two years working for the Latin America Division of Bank of America’s International Banking Department. While in law school, aside from working part-time, he served as the Lay Minister (Branch President) of a Spanish-speaking congregation in Chicago. Thus, for the past 40 years, Larry and his wife have been conversant in Spanish and included in Spanish-speaking activities. Sr. Hunter habla Español.
Ratings & Recognitions
- Idaho State Bar Professionalism Award – 2009
- Martindale Hubbell – AV Preeminent Rating
- Best Lawyers®
- Mountain States Super Lawyers: PI General – Defense
- J.D., Northwestern University School of Law, 1976
- A.B., Harvard College, cum laude, 1968
- Twin Falls High School, 1964
- Idaho State and Federal Courts
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
Professional & Civic Activities
- American Bar Association: Presidential Commission on Lawyer Assistance Plans (2016)
- Idaho State Bar – Dispute Resolution (Board), and Professional Ethics Sections
- American Inn of Court #130, Bencher
- Idaho State Bar Commission, 2001-2004
- Idaho State Bar President, 2004
- American Bar Association House of Delegates, 2004-Present
- American Bar Association Standing Commission on Paralegals, 2005-2011; Chair, 2008-2011
- Idaho Trial Lawyers Association
- Idaho Association of Defense Counsel
- Boise Philharmonic Association Board, 2001-2011; President, 2007-2008
- Kiwanis International, 1978-present; President, Capital City Club, 2010-2011
- Participant in first year orientation presentations on Ethics and Professionalism at University of Idaho Law School and Concordia University School of Law
- Volunteer church work for Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, including Bishop and Branch President of Spanish Branch
- Volunteer participant in Spanish language “Dia de la Familia” presentation
- School Volunteer – President of PTO, Member of the School District Committee on Education, Coach of ninth grade girls’ soccer team
- Youth soccer, softball, and basketball coach – 15 years total
- Pro Bono volunteer for Idaho Volunteer Lawyers Program – Soundstart, English and Spanish
- “Idaho Attorney Measures Rule of Law in Argentina,” The Advocate, Nov/Dec. 2016.
- “Reflections on Volunteer Service,” Meridian Press, 2016.
- “Lawyers Recognize Blackfoot Teacher as ‘Teacher of the Year’,” The Advocate, November/December 2016.