Julian Gabiola is a shareholder in the Pocatello office of Moffatt Thomas and has been with the firm for 17 years. Mr. Gabiola enjoys the relationships he develops with his clients and strives to make a difference in each of his clients’ lives, both on a professional and personal basis.
Mr. Gabiola is a defense litigator who specializes in medical malpractice, physician licensing, and other health care law issues with physicians and hospitals as clients, as well as personal injury claims. Mr. Gabiola also represents clients with issues involving professional malpractice, insurance defense, employment, and commercial litigation.
Some of Mr. Gabiola’s successes include:
- Obtaining a defense verdict in a medical malpractice wrongful death case where the plaintiffs sought a multi-million dollar verdict; and
- Obtaining a favorable decision from the Idaho Supreme Court that barred the plaintiff from pursuing his medical malpractice claim because of his failure to identify that claim as an asset of his bankruptcy estate.
Getting to Know Mr. Gabiola
Julian was born in Ontario, Oregon, but grew up on a farm in Kuna, Idaho, in a family of four children. His father came to the United States in 1954 from the Basque Country, a northern region of Spain. Julian and his siblings are the first in their family to obtain college degrees. He and his twin brother went on to obtain their Juris Doctorates, and now practice law in Pocatello, Idaho. Julian is married with three daughters. He enjoys skiing, fly fishing, and World War II history.
Julian Gabiola was recently recognized for his professional and community activities as a 2016 Southeast Idaho Professional of the Year Award Honoree.
Ratings & Recognitions
- Super Lawyers – Personal Injury Defense: Medical
- 2012 CASA Attorney of the Year (CASA – Court-Appointed Special Advocates for Children)
- Southeast Idaho Professional of the Year Award Honoree, 2016
- J.D., University of Idaho College of Law, 1996
- B.A., University of Idaho, summa cum laude
- Honorable Peter D. McDermott and Honorable N. Randy Smith, District Judges for the Sixth Judicial District for the State of Idaho
- Idaho State and Federal Courts
- Wyoming State and Federal Courts
Professional & Civic Activities
- Idaho Association of Defense Counsel
- DRI – The Voice of the Defense Bar (Defense Research Institute)
- Portneuf American Inn of Court, Bencher and past President (2009-2010)
- Sixth Judicial District CASA – Court Appointed Special Advocates for Children
- “When a Cause of Action for Medical Malpractice Accrues—The Objectively Ascertainable Damage Standard Following Stuard v. Jorgenson,” The Advocate, June/July 2012
Click here to download pdf: When a Cause of Action for Medical Malpractice, by Julian Gabiola
- Holy Spirit Catholic Community Parish Council, Member
- Marshall Public Library, Board of Trustees