Jetta Mathews is committed to providing accurate, thorough, and effective representation to each of her clients. She is an Idaho attorney located in the Moffatt Thomas offices in Pocatello, Idaho. Her primary practice areas are commercial litigation, medical malpractice defense and workers’ compensation defense. Jetta’s practice also includes representing clients in cases related to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.
Whether the case involves a business dispute, personal injury, or property damage claim, Ms. Mathews creates a strategy for obtaining a favorable result. Every case receives the benefit of Ms. Mathews’ attention to details, deep analysis, careful research, and excellent writing ability.
Modern litigation depends heavily on presenting a clear and persuasive written argument to the court, often eliminating the need for a costly and time-consuming trial. Jetta has a strong background in legal writing and research. She has written briefs and argued before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals and prepared written briefs for the Idaho Supreme Court. Prior to joining Moffatt Thomas, Jetta served as a law clerk to the Honorable N. Randy Smith at the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Getting to Know Ms. Mathews
Jetta grew up on a dairy farm in Blackfoot, Idaho, where she learned that work had to be done no matter how hot, cold, dirty, or unpleasant it was. Her grandfather, who farmed until the age of ninety-nine, always said, “It isn’t work if you enjoy what you are doing, and I’ve never worked a day in my life.” While she suspects that statement might be slightly inaccurate, she too has learned to enjoy work.
Ms. Mathews is active in both professional and community associations. She was recently elected Treasurer of the Sixth District Bar Association. She serves as the Pocatello Chapter Liaison for Idaho Women Lawyers, and is a graduate of the Leadership Pocatello Class of 2013-2015. Jetta donates time and expertise with the Idaho Volunteer Lawyers program, and Project Linus, a group associated with the Pocatello-Chubbuck Chamber of Commerce. She recently traveled to Boise to present at the Moffatt Thomas Employment Law Breakfast Briefing, “Disability/Discrimination by Association.”
- J.D., University of Idaho College of Law, summa cum laude, 2010
- B.A., Brigham Young University, magna cum laude, 2001
- Honorable N. Randy Smith, Justice of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Idaho State and Federal Courts
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
Professional & Civic Activities
- Sixth District Bar Association – Treasurer
- Idaho State Bar
- Idaho Women Lawyers, Pocatello Chapter Liaison
- Idaho Volunteer Lawyers Program
- Portneuf American Inns of Court
- Leadership Pocatello, Class of 2013-2015
- Project Linus, Member (A group associated with the Pocatello-Chubbuck Chamber of Commerce that makes blankets and quilts for children in crisis in the Pocatello, Idaho area.)
- Coming to America: An Overview of U.S. Immigration Law, New Knowledge Adventures, September 28, 2016
- Disability by Association, Moffatt Thomas Employment Law Breakfast Briefing, June 7, 2016.
- Republic of Argentina v. NML Capital, Ltd., 134 S. Ct. 2250 (2014) – presented to the International Law Section of the Idaho State Bar, March 26, 2015
- Civil Law Case Update, Idaho Law Foundation CLE, November 20, 2015
- Article: Grazing Improvement Act, January 2015