Gerry Husch has called Idaho “home” since he joined Moffatt Thomas 37 years ago. His practice focuses primarily upon counseling employers with creative solutions to avoid litigation and defending employers when litigation is unavoidable. Mr. Husch advises employers on a wide variety of employment law issues, such as employment terminations, employment, noncompetition and confidentiality agreements, trade secrets, employment discrimination; employee compensation; and compliance with the multitude of federal, state and local laws affecting employers. Mr. Husch also defends employers in administrative proceedings, litigation, mediation and arbitration involving wrongful termination claims, wage claims, breach of contract claims, claims of trade secret misappropriation, and claims of employment discrimination, harassment, and retaliation.
Mr. Husch distinguishes himself from many other lawyers by his ability to assist employers in crafting practical solutions that avoid the time and expense of unnecessary litigation. However, Mr. Husch is also an effective advocate for employers in disputed matters. For example, in defending employers against charges of discrimination before the Idaho Human Rights Commission, Mr. Husch has lost only one of the charges that he has defended from the outset of the proceedings.
Some testimonials from Mr. Husch’s clients include:
- “Mr. Husch seasons his counsel not just with pure legal knowledge but also with practical advice.”
- “His friendly approach and sensitivity to cost make him a hit with clients.”
Prior to joining Moffatt Thomas in 1980, Mr. Husch served as a law clerk to the Honorable William C. Stuart, Chief Judge of the United States District Court for the Southern District of Iowa.
Ratings & Recognitions
- Martindale Hubbell – AV Preeminent Rating
- Best Lawyers® Lawyer of the Year 2015 – Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law
- Best Lawyers®
- Chambers and Partners – Labor & Employment Law
- J.D., Drake University Law School, with honors, 1978
- B.A., Drake University, 1973
- Honorable William C. Stuart, Chief Justice of the United States District Court of the Southern District of Iowa
- Idaho State and Federal Courts
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
Professional & Civic Activities
- American Inns of Court No. 130, past President, past Secretary-Treasurer
- City Club of Boise
- DRI – The Voice of the Defense Bar (Defense Research Institute)
- Human Resources Association of Treasure Valley (HRATV)
- Idaho Association of Defense Counsel
- Society of Human Resource Management (SHRM)
- “Conflicts of Interest: Challenges in the 21st Century,” The Idaho State Bar Advocate, October 2013 (co-author) Download PDF“
- “Trade Secrets and Agreements Not to Compete: A State-by-State Compendium,” Defense Research Institute, 2008 (author of Idaho chapters)
- “Employers’ Attorneys Must Be Careful in Drafting Covenants Not to Compete,” The Idaho State Bar Advocate, September 2001 (co-author)
- “The Idaho Tort & Insurance Law Deskbook,” 1994 (co-author)
- “Pop Quiz – How Much Do You Know About the ADA?” Moffatt Thomas Employment Law Breakfast Briefing, December 1, 2015.
- “Prevention of Unlawful Competition and Misappropriation of Intellectual Property by Current and Former Employees,” Association of Corporate Counsel, Mountain West Chapter, September 1, 2015.
- “Recent Developments in Employment Law – 2015,” Moffatt Thomas Employment Law Breakfast Briefing, June 2, 2015
- “The Intersection of Leave Issues Under Workers’ Compensation, FMLA and ADA,” Idaho State Council of SHRM, 2014 Employment Law Conference Download PDF
- “What Every Employer Needs to Know Before Terminating an Employee,” Idaho State Council of SHRM, 2014 Employment Law Conference Download PDF
- “”Non-Compete Agreements,” Boise State University MBA program, September 2014
- “The Legal Side of Agriculture: Best Practices to Avoid Liability to Employees,” Leadership Idaho Agriculture Foundation, February 2014 Download PDF
- Idaho’s Noncompete Statute: What Employers and Employees Need to Know,” BSU EMBA Program, September 2013 Download PDF
- “2012 Updates in Employment Law,” Employment Law Breakfast Briefing, December 2012 Download PDF
- “RIFs, Layoffs and Other Employment Terminations,” Boise State University Executive MBA Program, September 2012 Download PDF
- “The Employment at Will Doctrine in Idaho,” Boise State University Executive MBA Program, September 2011 Download PDF
- “The EEOC’s Final ADAAA Regulations,” Breakfast Briefing, June 2011 Download PDF
- “The Impact of Idaho’s New Noncompete Statute: What Employers Need to Know About Noncompetition Agreements,” Idaho State Council of Society of Human Resource Management, September 2010
- “The ADA Amendments Act: What Employers Need to Know,” Idaho State Council of Society of Human Resource Management, September 2010