Benjamin C. Ritchie is a Partner with the Idaho law firm Moffatt Thomas, working from the firm’s offices in Idaho Falls and Pocatello. He believes that each client should be better off after having retained the services of Moffatt Thomas. His objective is to give value to each client in resolving client problems by utilizing the firm’s vast experience and superior resources.
The following are some of the services that Ben provides for his clients:
- Providing insurance coverage analysis for insurance companies;
- Defending insurance companies against claims for breach of contract and bad faith;
- Advising employers on various issues including paid time off, harassment, drugs in the workplace and termination;
- Defending employers against claims under the ADA, FMLA, other employment laws and workers’ compensation;
- Advising trucking companies on human resource issues, regulation compliance and brokerage issues;
- Defending trucking companies in truck accident litigation;
- Defending product manufacturers for claims relating to asbestos exposure;
- Premises liability/products liability defense.
Ben has been with Moffatt Thomas since 2006. Prior to joining Moffatt Thomas, he served as a law clerk to the Honorable Richard T. St. Clair, judge in the Seventh Judicial District Court of the State of Idaho, Bonneville County. He also worked as an extern in the Office of the Chief Counsel, U.S. Department of Energy, Idaho Operations Office in 2003.
Ben is a frequent lecturer, providing educational seminars for clients and associations such as the Idaho Trucking Association, Southeast Idaho Society for Human Resource Management, the Idaho Department of Labor, and Moffatt Thomas Employment Law Breakfast Briefings.
Ben is a member of the inaugural class of the Idaho Academy of Leadership for Lawyers, 2011-2012. He serves as pro bono counsel for Court Appointed Special Advocates in child protection proceedings. He also serves as pro bono legal counsel to the Idaho Suicide Prevention Hotline.
The Idaho State Bar awarded Benjamin C. Ritchie the Denise O’Donnell-Day Pro Bono Award in November, 2015, in recognition of the extraordinary time and effort he volunteered to resolve legal issues for low-income clients. In 2016, he received the Distinguished Under 40 Award from the Greater Idaho Falls Chamber of Commerce.
Getting to Know Ben Ritchie
Mr. Ritchie is a lifelong resident of Eastern Idaho. He enjoys playing all sports and exploring the outdoors with his wife and three children.
Ratings & Recognitions
- 2016 Distinguished Under 40 Award, presented by the Greater Idaho Falls Chamber of Commerce
- The Idaho State Bar awarded Benjamin C. Ritchie the Denise O’Donnell-Day Pro Bono Award in November, 2015, for volunteering extraordinary time and effort to resolve legal issues for low-income clients.
Per an Idaho State Bar press release, Benjamin C. Ritchie was honored for helping a half-brother gain guardianship of a child whose mother had died. The minor was being cared for by the older brother when their absentee father arrived and took the child. The minor was able to escape and find police who helped him reunite with his brother. The lawyer’s work established sole guardianship and helped to create a long-term stable environment for the child.
- J.D., University of Idaho College of Law, 2005
- B.A., Idaho State University, 2001
- Honorable Richard T. St. Clair, District Judge for the Seventh Judicial District for the State of Idaho
- Idaho State and Federal Courts
Professional & Civic Activities
- Idaho State Bar – Litigation Section Governing Council (2014 – present)
- Idaho Association of Defense Counsel, Board of Directors (2015 – present)
- Idaho Trucking Association, member
- Idaho Academy of Leadership for Lawyers, graduate of 2011-2012 inaugural class
- Idaho AGC (Associated General Contractors), member
- Seventh District Court Appointed Special Advocate Volunteer Attorney
- SHRM, Society for Human Resource Management
- “Hiring Practices,” Idaho Department of Labor Employer Workshop, Idaho Falls, July 13, 2017.
- “Going Green – Marijuana in the Workplace,” Idaho State Council of SHRM 2016 Employment Law Conference, September 30, 2016.
- “Correct Hiring Practices,” Idaho Department of Labor Employer Workshop, Idaho Falls, June 9, 2016.
- “Attorney-Client Privilege and In-House Counsel,” Litigation Section of the Idaho State Bar, April 15, 2016.
- “OSHA Overview,” Idaho Department of Labor Employer Committee, February 11, 2016
- “Then Interplay Between the ADA, FMLA, and Worker’ Compensation,” Southeast Idaho SHRM Business Professionals Conference, October 15, 2015
- “Social Media Issues for Employers,” Idaho Department of Labor, March 19, 2015
- “Terminations – What Every Employer Should Know,” Idaho Department of Labor Employer Workshop, December 2014
- “Workers’ Compensation,” Idaho Department of Labor Employer Workshop, November 2014
- “Legal Issues in Transportation” – Idaho Trucking Association: Idaho Falls, Coeur d’Alene, Meridian, and Blackfoot; November 2014
- “Family and Medical Leave Act,” Idaho Department of Labor Employer Workshop, October 2014
- “Fundamentals of Employment Law,” Sterling Education Services, September 2014
- “Bankruptcy Issues in Landlord/Tenant Law,” Sterling Education Services, December 2013
- “Bad Faith Insurance Claims in Idaho,” National Business Institute, October 2013
- “Idaho Significant Decisions,” Presentation, Idaho Association of Defense Counsel Annual Meeting, September 2013
- Habitat for Humanity Idaho Falls Area, Board of Directors (elected in 2015)
- Youth Baseball Coach (2012-present)
- Idaho Suicide Prevention, pro bono counsel